- Record prednisone as hormonal therapy when administered in combination with chemotherapy, such as MOPP (mechlorethamine, vincristine, procarbazine, prednisone) or COPP (cyclophosphamide, vincristine, procarbazine, prednisone).
- Do not code prednisone as hormone therapy when it is administered for reasons other than chemotherapeutic treatment.
- Tumor involvement or treatment may destroy hormone-producing tissue. Hormone replacement therapy will be given if the hormone is necessary to maintain normal metabolism and body function. Do not code hormone replacement therapy as part of first course therapy.
- Code 00 if hormone therapy was not administered to the patient, and it is known that it is not usually administered for this type and stage of cancer.
- Code 00 if the treatment plan offered multiple options, and the patient selected treatment that did not include hormone therapy.
- Code 01 for thyroid replacement therapy which inhibits TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). TSH is a product of the pituitary gland that can stimulate tumor growth.
- If it is known that hormone therapy is usually administered for this type and stage of cancer, but was not administered to the patient, use code 82, 85, 86, or 87 to record the reason why it was not administered.
- Code 87 if the patient refused recommended hormone therapy, made a blanket refusal of all recommended treatment, or refused all treatment before any was recommended.
- Code 99 if it is not known whether hormone therapy is usually administered for this type and stage of cancer, and there is no mention in the patient record whether it was recommended or administered.
- Refer to SEER*Rx (http://seer.cancer.gov/tools/seerrx/) for instructions for coding hormonal, chemotherapeutic and immunotherapy agents.
|00||None, hormone therapy was not part of the planned first course of therapy. Diagnosed at autopsy.|
|01||Hormone therapy administered as first course therapy.|
|82||Hormone therapy was not recommended/administered because it was contraindicated due to patient risk factors (ie, comorbid conditions, advanced age).|
|85||Hormone therapy was not administered because the patient died prior to planned or recommended therapy.|
|86||Hormone therapy was not administered. It was recommended by the patient's physician, but was not administered as part of the first course of therapy. No reason was stated in patient record.|
|87||Hormone therapy was not administered. It was recommended by the patient's physician, but this treatment was refused by the patient, a patient's family member, or the patient's guardian. The refusal was noted in patient record.|
|88||Hormone therapy was recommended, but it is unknown if it was administered.|
|99||It is unknown whether a hormonal agent(s) was recommended or administered because it is not stated in patient record. Death certificate only.|
CoC cancer programs are required to identify treatment their patients received from all sources. This item identifies hormone therapy given at this facility. The item Hormone Therapy records first course hormone therapy from any facility.