- Code information about lung metastases only (discontinuous or distant metastases to the lung) identified at the time of diagnosis. This field should not be coded for pleural or pleural fluid involvement.
- Lung involvement may be single or multiple.
- Information about lung involvement may be clinical or pathologic.
- Code this field whether or not the patient had any preoperative systemic therapy.
- This field should be coded for all solid tumors, Kaposi sarcoma, Unknown Primary Site, and Other and Ill-Defined Primary Sites.
- Use code 8 for Hematopoietic, Reticuloendothelial, Immunoproliferative and Myeloproliferative Neoplasms, and Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin Lymphoma.
- Use code 9 when it cannot be determined from the medical record whether the patient specifically had lung metastases; for example, when CS Mets at Dx is coded as carcinomatosis but the lung is not specifically mentioned as a meatastatic site. Also use code 9 when it is not known whether the patient had any distant metastases.
0 = None; no lung metastases
1 = Yes
8 = Not applicable
9 =Unknown whether the lung is involved; Not documented in patient record
This item was first collected in 2010. Because of delays in some hospitals in implementing registry software updates, data may be incomplete for 2010.
Links to the site-specific codes can be found at http://ncdbpuf.facs.org/?q=node/370.