- Code information about liver metastases only (discontinuous or distant metastases to the liver) identified at the time of diagnosis.
- Liver involvement may be single or multiple.
- Information about liver involvement may be clinical or pathologic.
- Code this field whether or not the patient had any preoperative systemic therapy.
- This field should be coded for all solid tumors, Kaposi sarcoma, Unknown Primary Site, and Other and Ill-Defined Sites.
- Use code 8 for Hematopoietic, Reticuloendothelial, Immunoproliferative and Myeloproliferative Neoplasms, and Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin Lymphoma.
- Use code 9 when it cannot be determined from the medical record whether the patient had liver metastases; for example, when CS Mets at DX is coded as carcinomatosis but the liver is nto specifically mentioned as a metastatic site. Also use code 9 when it is not known whehtehr the patient had any distant metastases.
0 = None; no liver metastases
1 = Yes
8 = Not applicable
9 = Unknown whether the liver is involved; Not documented in patient record.
This item was first collected in 2010. Because of delays in some hospitals in implementing registry software updates, data may be incomplete for 2010 diagnoses.
Links to the site-specific codes can be found at http://ncdbpuf.facs.org/?q=node/370.