- Code information about bone metastases only (discontinuous or distant metastases to bone) identified at the time of diangosis. This field should not be coded for bone marrow involvement.
- Bone involvement may be single or multiple.
- Information about bone involvement may be clinical or pathologic.
- Code this field whether or not the patient had any preoperative systemic therapy.
- This field should be coded for all solid tumors, Kaposi sarcoma, Unknown Primary Site, and Other and Ill-Defined Sites.
- Use code 8 for Hematopoietic, reticuloendothelial, Immunopolifereative and Myeloproliferative Neoplasms, and Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin Lymphoma.
- Use code 9 when it cannot be determined from the medical record whether the patient specifically had bone metastases; for example, when CS Mets at DX is coded as carcinomatosis but bone is not specifically mentioned as a metastatic site. Also use code 9 when it is not known whether the patient had any distant metastases.
0 = None; no bone metastases
1 = Yes
8 = Not applicable
9 = Unknown whether bone is involved; Not documented in patient record
This item was first collected in 2010. Because of delays in some hospitals in implementing registry software updates, data may be incomplete for 2010 diagnoses.This item was discontinued in 2016, and replaced by the STORE manual variable, METS_AT_DX_ BONE.
Links to the site-specific codes can be found at http://ncdbpuf.facs.org/?q=node/370.