- Record the margin status as it appears in the pathology report.
- Codes 0-3 are hierarchical; if two codes describe the margin status, use the numerically higher code.
- If no surgery of the primary site was performed, code 8.
- For lymphomas with a lymph node primary site (C77.0-C77.9), code 9.
- For an unknown or ill-defined primary (C76.0-C76.8, C80.9) or for hematopoietic, reticuloendothelial, immunoproliferative, or myeloproliferative disease, code 9.
- For Brain and CNS sites, the NCDB converts codes 0, 1, 2, 3, and 7 to code 9 for this item due to unreliability.
|0||No residual tumor||All margins are grossly and microscopically negative.|
|1||Residual tumor, NOS||Involvement is indicated, but not otherwise specified.|
|2||Microscopic residual tumor||Cannot be seen by the naked eye.|
|3||Macroscopic residual tumor||Gross tumor of the primary site which is visible to the naked eye.|
|7||Margins not evaluable||Cannot be assessed (indeterminate).|
|8||No primary site surgery||No surgical procedure of the primary site. Diagnosed at autopsy.|
|9||Unknown or not applicable||It is unknown whether a surgical procedure to the primary site was performed; death certificate-only; for lymphomas with a lymph node primary site; an unknown or ill-defined primary; or for hematopoietic, reticuloendothelial, immunoproliferative, or myeloproliferative disease.|