- Code the type of procedure performed as part of the initial diagnosis and workup, whether this is done at the reporting institution or another facility.
- Code 02 is used if both an incisional biopsy of the primary site and an incisional biopsy of a metastatic site are done.
- Surgical procedures which aspirate, biopsy, or remove regional lymph nodes in an effort to diagnose and/or stage disease are not coded in this item. The item Scope of Regional Lymph Node Surgery (NAACCR Item #1292) is used to code these procedures.
- Brushings, washings, cell aspiration, and hematologic findings (peripheral blood smears) as positive cytologic diagnostic confirmation are coded in the data item Diagnostic Confirmation (NAACCR Item #490). These are not considered surgical procedures and are not be coded in this item.
- Excisional biopsies with clear or microscopic margins are not coded in this data item. Item Surgical Procedure of Primary Site (NAACCR Item #1290) is used to code these procedures.
- Palliative surgical procedures are not coded in this data item. The item Palliative Procedure (NAACCR Item #3270) is used to code these procedures.
This item was added to FORDS in 2003, and is blank for earlier diagnoses in the PUF data.
|0||No surgical diagnostic or staging procedure was performed|
|1||A biopsy (incisional, needle, or aspiration) was done to a site other than the primary. No exploratory procedure was done|
|2||A biopsy (incisional, needle, or aspiration) was done to the primary site|
|3||A surgical exploration only. The patient was not biopsied or treated|
|4||A surgical procedure with a bypass was performed, but no biopsy was done|
|5||An exploratory procedure was performed, and a biopsy of either the primary site or another site was done|
|6||A bypass procedure was performed, and a biopsy of either the primary site or another site was done|
|7||A procedure was done, but the type of procedure is unknown|
|9||No information of whether a diagnostic or staging procedure was performed|