- Only record information about regional lymph nodes in this data item.
- This data item is based on pathology information only. If no lymph nodes were removed for examination, or if a lymph node drainage area was removed, but no lymph nodes were found, code 00.
- Record the total number of regional lymph nodes removed and examined by the pathologist.
- The number of regional lymph nodes examined is cumulative from all procedures that removed lymph nodes through the completion of surgeries during the first course of treatment.
- Code 98 if lymph nodes are aspirated and other lymph nodes are removed.
- This data item is to be recorded regardless of whether the patient received preoperative treatment.
- If a lymph node biopsy was performed, code the number of nodes removed, if known. If the number of nodes removed by biopsy is not known, code 96.
Code 99 for the following primary sites and histologies:
- Placenta (C58.9)
- Brain and Cerebral Meninges (C70.0, C71.0-C71.9)
- Other Parts of Central Nervous System (C70.1, C70.9, C72.0-C72.5, C72.8-C72.9)
- Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (M-959-972) EXCEPT 9700/3 and 9701/3)
- Hematopoietic, Reticuloendothelial, Immunoproliferative and Myeloproliferative Neoplasms (M-9731-9734, 9740-9742, 9750-9758, 9760-9762, 9764-9769, 9800-9801, 9805, 9820, 9823, 9826-827, 9831-9837, 9840, 9860-9861, 9863, 9866-9867, 9870-9876, 9891, 9895-9897, 9910, 9920, 9930-9931, 9940, 9945-9946, 9948, 9950, 9960-9964, 9970, 9975, 9980, 9982-9987, 9989)
- Unknown and Ill-Defined Primary Sites (C42.0-C42.4, C76.0-C76.5, C76.7-C76.8, C77.0-C77.5, C77.8-C77.9, C80.9); Note: For C42.x and C77.x, other than hematopoietic, reticuloendothelial, immunoproliferative and myeloproliferative neoplasms as listed above, Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin Lymphomas as listed above, and Kaposi sarcoma 9140/3)
This item became part of the Collaborative Stage Data Collection System when CS was implemented in 2004. The PUF item reflects data submitted at any time, regardless of the applicable manual.
|00||No nodes were examined|
|01-89||1-89 nodes were examined (Code the exact number of regional lymph nodes examined)|
|90||90 or more nodes were examined|
|95||No regional nodes were removed, but aspiration of regional nodes was performed|
|96||Regional lymph node removal was documented as a sampling, and the number of nodes is unknown/not stated|
|97||Regional lymph node removal was documented as a dissection, and the number of nodes is unknown/not stated|
|98||Regional lymph nodes surgically removed but number not documented, not documented as sampling or dissection|
|99||Unknown if regional nodes examined; not applicable for this site-histology combination|