- If Surgical Procedure of Primary Site (NAACCR Item #1290) is coded 00, then record the reason based on documentation in the patient record.
- Code 1 if the treatment plan offered multiple options and the patient selected treatment that did not include surgery of the primary site, or if the option of "no treatment" was accepted by the patient.
- Code 1 if Surgical Procedure of Primary Site (NAACCR Item #1290) is coded 98.
- Code 7 if the patient refused recommended surgical treatment, made a blanket refusal of all recommended treatment, or refused all treatment before any was recommended.
- Cases coded 8 should be followed and updated to a more definitive code as appropriate.
- Code 9 if the treatment plan offered multiple choices, but it is unknown which treatment, if any was provided.
This item is reported using the FORDS manual for diagnosis years 2003 and later
|0||Surgery of the primary site was performed.|
|1||Surgery of the primary site was not performed because it was not part of the planned first course treatment.|
|2||Surgery of the primary site was not recommended/performed because it was contraindicated due to patient risk factors (comorbid conditions, advanced age, etc.)|
|5||Surgery of the primary site was not performed because the patient died prior to planned or recommended surgery.|
|6||Surgery of the primary site was not performed; it was recommended by the patient's physician, but was not performed as part of the first course of therapy. No reason was noted in patient record.|
|7||Surgery of the primary site was not performed; it was recommended by the patient's physician, but this treatment was refused by the patient, the patient's family member, or the patient's guardian. The refusal was noted in patient record.|
|8||Surgery of the primary site was recommended, but it is unknown if it was performed. Further follow-up is recommended.|
|9||It is unknown whether surgery of the primary site was recommended or performed. Diagnosed at autopsy or death certificate only.|