- If Regional Treatment Modality (NAACCR Item #1570) is coded 00, then record the reason based on documentation in patient record.
- Code 1 if the treatment plan offered multiple options and the patient selected treatment that did not include radiation therapy.
- Code 7 if the patient refused recommended radiation therapy, made a blanket refusal of all recommended treatment, or refused all treatment before any was recommended.
- Cases coded 8 should be followed and updated to a more definitive code as appropriate.
- Code 9 if the treatment plan offered multiple options, but it is unknown which treatment, if any, was provided.
Prior to the implementation of FORDS in 2003, the information recorded in this item was limited to the content recorded as 0, 1, 7, 8 and 9.
|0||Radiation therapy was administered.|
|1||Radiation therapy was not administered because it was not part of the planned first course treatment.|
|2||Radiation therapy was not recommended/administered because it was contraindicated due to other patient risk factors (comorbid conditions, advanced age, etc.).|
|5||Radiation therapy was not administered because the patient died prior to planned or recommended therapy.|
|6||Radiation therapy was not administered; it was recommended by the patient’s physician, but was not administered as part of first course treatment. No reason was noted in patient record.|
|7||Radiation therapy was not administered; it was recommended by the patient’s physician, but this treatment was refused by the patient, the patient’s family member, or the patient’s guardian. The refusal was noted in patient record.|
|8||Radiation therapy was recommended, but it is unknown whether it was administered.|
|9||It is unknown if radiation therapy was recommended or administered. Death certificate and autopsy cases only.|