- Only record information about regional lymph nodes in this item.
- This item is based on pathology information only. If no lymph nodes were removed for examination, or if a lymph node drainage area was removed, but no lymph nodes were found, code 98.
- Record the total number of regional lymph nodes removed and found to be positive by pathologic examination.
- The number of regional lymph nodes positive is cumulative from all procedures that removed lymph nodes through the completion of surgeries in the first course of treatment.
- This item is to be recorded regardless of whether the patient received preoperative treatment.
- Any combination of positive aspirated, biopsied, sampled or dissected lymph nodes is coded 97 if the number of involved nodes cannot be determined on the basis of cytology or histology.
Code 99 for the following sites and histologies:
- Brain and Cerebral Meninges (C70.0, C71.0-C71.9)
- Other Parts of Central Nervous System (C70.1, C70.9, C72.0-C72.5, C72.8-C72.9)
- Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (M-959-972 EXCEPT 9700/3 and 9701/3)
- Hematopoietic, Reticuloendothelial, Immunoproliferative and Myeloproliferative Neoplasms (M-9731-9734, 9740-9742, 9750-9758, 9760-9762, 9764-9769, 9800-9801, 9805, 9820, 9823, 9826-9827, 9831-9837, 9840, 9860-9861, 9863, 9866-9867, 9870-9876, 9891, 9895-9897, 9910, 9920, 9930-9931, 9940, 9945-9946, 9948, 9950, 9960-9964, 9970, 9975, 9980, 9982-9987, 9989)
- Unknown and Ill-Defined Primary Sites (C42.0-C42.4, C76.0-C76.5, C76.7-C76.8, C77.0-C77.5, C77.8-C77.9, C80.9; Note: For C42.x and C77.x other than hematopoietic, reticuloendothelial, immunoproliferative and myeloproliferative neoplasms as listed above, Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin Lymphomas as listed above, and Kaposi sarcoma 9140/3)
This item became part of the Collaborative Stage Data Collection System when CS was implemented in 2004. The PUF item reflects data submitted at any time, regardless of the applicable manual.